1. Listen for hints: I am a very blunt and honest person. When someone asks how I feel or what I want I almost never beat around the bush. This isn't to say that way is good or bad, but just that I seem to expect others to reciprocate similarly. Consequently, when people make slight suggestions or choose more delicate wording I often overlook important details. It is essential that I can learn to step outside myself and take strong note when significant issues are brought up; if only by implication or briefly touching on them.
2. Change my schedule: At the time it seemed trivial, but in retrospect I truly believe having askew sleeping patterns puts tremendous strain on the relationship. It really wouldn't have taken all that much effort and the benefits would have greatly outweighed the costs. I have very strong will power and not exercising it here was a mistake I hope not to repeat.
3. Take an interest: If you really care about someone, inquiring about their hobbies, activities, jobs, family and leisure time should following naturally on a daily basis. It seems like on the deepest level the biggest thing people want is just to have someone who listens and understands what it is they think they are saying. If you don't let people tell you who they are, you'll never learn.
4. Develop communication skills: This is without a doubt the biggest thing. If I learn nothing else from this whole experience, I'd be content if I just sharpened my ability to communicate. I recently picked up a book (You Just Don't Understand by DR. Deborah Tannen) by suggestion of my mother and only 70 pages in I feel it has challenged and enlightened my inter gender linguistic skills to the bone. It is widely known that most relationship problems can be resolved by means of healthy communication. It's about time I play a little less Tetris and start sorting out my real life.
3 comments:
"It's about time I play a little less Tetris and start sorting out my real life."
This statement, or a variation of it, could be made by/apply to many people in our generation.
I struggle with a lot of these too.
Sort out real life or numb your self with 12 beers it is always a difficult decision....
Post a Comment