Sunday, March 16, 2008

An Exercise in Teaching Gambling Retards

I am starting to realize that many people don't quite understand what a luck graph is... so I will do my best to explain it. Glossary:

Profits
: how much money you are actually up/down

Expected Winnings: how much money you "should" be up/down

Luck: the difference between profits and expecting winnings

That is to say there is no way to tell how I am actually doing from a luck graph (as most of you know I don't care to discuss my actual finances on this blog). It nearly shows the difference between what I should be up/down and what I actually am up/down. For example I could have had even expected winnings, but be down 73k from bad luck... or I could have had 73k in expected winnings and be even in profits from -73k in luck... or I could have had positive 500k in expected winnings, but only be up 427k because of -73k in luck. I hope this clears up a few things for the gambling inept out there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WE ALL KNOW THIS. YOU SHOULD STILL GET A REAL JOB.

. said...

Thank you for sharing your infinite wisdom in all caps.

TheGraveWolf said...

For all the abbreviation inept out there: caps = CAPITAL LETTERS

Shannon Shorr said...

Not sure if you're up or down this year, but that's tough luck man. Keep grinding away that graph will obv go up.

Curt C said...

There must be an asshole convention in town.

In all fairness though, your bad luck does have a correlation with profit. In the long run, you'll kick ass as long as your edge is bigger than the house's take.