Sunday, March 2, 2008

One Bad Apple

Traditionally when I come across a young male age 19-26 and the topic of profession comes into conversation the responses to hearing I am a professional poker player vary from neutral to enthusiastic. I came across the exception the other day. I was at my good friend's birthday party when this kid asked me what I do for a living. After I told him I play poker, he proceeded to claim that all gamblers lose in the long run. I told him I am a profitable player. He remained skeptical. Eventually the topic of conversation moved passed poker and he let it go. However, when he was saying his goodbyes and readying to leave he brought it up yet again. "You REALLY play poker?"... "All gambles lose in the long term"... "I don't believe it"... I eventually responded, "I don't really gamble for a living, I was just messing with you." To which he replied, "heh, you nearly had me believing you there." It was my best bluff of the week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol

Triumph said...

you should've offered to flip him for 10k

Anonymous said...

That's a GREAT story! Well told my friend!

rachel said...

very funny.